GCSAA Presidents Award and the Michael Hindahl Environmental Stewardship Award of Excellence

On Tuesday, the GCSAA announced that our Board of Directors have selected me to receive the 2012 President's Award for Environmental Stewardship. This came as a complete surprise which I am honored beyond belief. I will be receiving the award at the 2012 Golf Industry Show in Las Vegas on February 28th.

 Dr. Michael Hindahl
Ironically, the awards didn't stop there. Also on Tuesday, while at the OGCSA's Annual Environmental Meeting, I was presented with the Michael Hindahl Environmental Stewardship Award of Excellence just minutes after the GCSAA sent out the press release. It was a little overwhelming to say the least. I would like to thank Oregon's Board of Directors for their recognition. Receiving the Hindahl Award means so much to me in that Michael was a close friend. He was also a friend of the OGCSA and an environmental advocate. Michael had a Ph.D. in Microbiology and worked for Oregon Health Science University researching AIDS. He had a passion for golf and desired to apply his skills to the industry. Prior to Michael's passing, he helped the OGCSA pioneer its Environmental Stewardship Guidelines which received the Presidents Award from GCSAA in 2005. He also played a pivotal roll in the permitting process here at Stone Creek. Without his help the construction could have been delayed considerably. To this day, Michael is still an inspiration. It is fitting that his award came along side of the Presidents Award because without Michael's influence and encouragement, I may not have had the inspiration to promote our incredible game and its relationship to the environment.

I cannot take all the credit for these awards. First and foremost I give credit to the golf course in which I am privileged to manage. Stone Creek has provided a venue in which I have been able to promote golf's environmental attributes through it's sheer beauty. I would also like thank my employer for their support and allowing me to pursue the many projects that have promoted golf's environmental benefits. Also, I give credit to my staff. With their skillful work, they are able to maintain Stone Creek in such a way that shows attention to detail without sacrificing the integrity of the land.

Finally, I would like to thank everyone from across the country and beyond who have sent notes, left voice mails and have commented on my Facebook page. Your congratulations have been incredibly humbling and have been an inspiration. With or without these awards, I am blessed to be part of such a wonderful group of peers called the GCSAA. On February 28th, I will accept The Presidents Award on behalf of all the it's members who are equally dedicated to their industry and the environment.


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...